Using Symantec Backup Exec to backup SharePoint
As I use Symantec BackupExec on my network I have purchased the agent for SharePoint. This will allow me to backup the entire server or farm with the ability to perform a granluar restore.
To backup the SharePoint server efficiently I’ll be adhering to these best practices:
- Use an account with local administrative privileges on each server
- Use the BackupExec agent to backup the default SQL databases (master, model, msdb)
- Endure GRT (Granular Restore Technology is enabled
- Keep a record of all service packs and hotfixes installed on each SharePoint server as a restore may fail if databases were backed up with different patch levels
- Make backup selections from the appropriate farm as opposed to individual servers