SharePoint 2013 logs growing by several GB per day
I have received an alert from our monitoring system for one of the Web Front End servers in my SharePoint 2013 farm running low on disk space. A quick check revealed that the log folder was fast filling up (in fact it was using about 60Gb per day). For the past few days the following is being logged repeatedly:
DistributedCacheService.exe (0x069C) 0x1378 SharePoint Foundation DistributedCache ahlc2 Medium Calling… SPDistributedCacheClusterCustomProvider:: GetValue(object transactionContext, string type, string key).
DistributedCacheService.exe (0x069C) 0x1378 SharePoint Foundation DistributedCache ahlc3 Medium Successfully executed… SPDistributedCacheClusterCustomProvider:: GetValue(object transactionContext, string type, string key).
My first action was to gracefully stop the Distributed Cache instance on this WFE by using the Stop-SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance cmdlet:
Now the logs have stopped growing so quickly and using ULS Viewer I can see the above entries are no longer being logged.
I am unsure of the cause of this (I have confirmed that verbose logging has not been enabled) so I have started the service again and thus far the situation remains normal.