SharePoint 2016 – The upgraded database schema doesn’t match the TargetSchema
I have not had much exposure to SharePoint 2016 yet and have only just applied my first cumulative update. Unfortunately it didn’t go well and failed. Here is what I pulled out of the log file:
ERR Failed to upgrade SharePoint Products. An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException was thrown. Additional exception information: The upgrade command is invalid or a failure has been encountered. Upgrade [SPContentDatabase Name=WEBBWORLD_Content_Portal] failed. (EventID:an59t) Exception: The upgraded database schema doesn't match the TargetSchema (EventID:an59t) (EventID:an59t) Upgrade Timer job is exiting due to exception: Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPUpgradeException: The upgraded database schema doesn't match the TargetSchema
I tried running the upgrade command again but the same error occurred.
I got around this problem by upgrading the content databases using the Upgrade-SPContentDatabase cmdlet before running the upgrade:
Get-SPContentDatabase | Upgrade-SPContentDatabase